Location does not match your settings. (CA).
Your state: US, post is from CA, Lancaster
Under the direction of a registered nurse, provides direct patient care through the performance of a variety of non-professional patient care duties.
Duties and Responsibilities:
A. Provides interventions to meet the patients physical, psychosocial and spiritual needs as directed, or as specified, by the patients plan of care.
- Observes patients behavior and documents it in the patients medical record in a non-judgmental and professional manner, in addition to communicating observations to the designated licensed nurse (patient's assigned RN or charge nurse).
- Identifies patient needs/problems via accurate observation of the patient and recording those observations in the patients medical record and communicates these needs to the patient's RN/charge nurse.
- Documents in patients medical record in a competent, non-judgmental manner.
B. Provides appropriate structure for the patients via consistency and teamwork.
Acts as a role model for patients through active participation in the program activities and/or sessions.
C. Prevents contamination and/or transfer of infection by use of Exposure Control Plan and Standard Precautions in daily work
D. Provides assistance to patients in need of help with activities of daily living, such as personal hygiene needs (bathing, dressing, shaving, brushing teeth and hair); feeding patients.
- Obtains specimens from patients as instructed.
- Implements therapeutic modalities, including measurement of intake and output, monitoring patient vital signs, feeding patients, etc.
E. Formulates patient care needs based upon integration of assessments in the medical record, under the direction of a Registered Nurse
F. Accompanies patients on fresh air breaks/outside the unit and maintains constant observation of assigned patients in the group at the time
G. Assists in maintenance of a safe, comfortable and therapeutic environment.
Responds to Code Greys within the hospital dependent on needs of the unit
H. Demonstrates knowledge regarding special needs and behaviors of age specific groups.
- Participates in age specific educational and training programs.
- Demonstrates proficiency in required age specific competencies
I. Gathers information from outside sources and integrates it with patients own statements.
- Elicits information and other data from the patient with appropriate questioning.
- Identifies patient information needs and satisfies those needs on both an individual and group basis.
J. Recognizes and intervenes in admission and discharge needs of the patient in coordination with the interdisciplinary treatment team.
K. Acts as a back-up for telephonic crisis calls
- Assists in special projects/assignments, as needed
- Assists in the orientation of other new staff members, as assigned
- Participates in department task forces, teams, and committees
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of basic crisis intervention and listening skills normally acquired through 1 year of experience on a crisis line or handling crisis calls
- Skill in communicating in an empathetic manner
- Skill in handling crisis calls on the unit phone
- Skill in performing basic mathematical calculations and understands basic scientific principles as generally acquired through the completion of the requirements for a high school diploma or equivalent
- Supports and adheres to the mission statement and values established by the Mental Health Services Department
- Ability to assist the Registered Nurse during a crisis situation.
- Ability to read, write and learn at a level generally achieved by a high school graduate or the equivalent
- Ability to be flexible in meeting the staffing requirements and needs of the department and its patients
- Ability to understand and follow written and verbal instructions
- Ability to gather information from outside sources and complete required paperwork
- Ability to integrate information obtained from outside sources with patient statements
- Ability to satisfy patient educational needs, both on an individual as well as a group basis
- Ability to recognize patient admission and/or discharge needs and communicate those needs to the Registered Nurse on a consistent basis
- Ability to formulate patient care needs
- Ability to formulate a patient behavioral contract
- Ability to elicit information and other data from the patient with appropriate questions and communication style
- Ability to chart in the patients medical records in a timely, competent, non-judgmental manner. Charting is legible and understandable.
- Ability to perform audits of charts as assigned in a competent manner
Core Competencies: All AVH employees will effectively demonstrate these behaviors:
Ethics & Values
Integrity & Trust
Education and Experience:
- Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA) certification preferred, but not required
- Has worked as a Mental Health Technician for a one (1) year period of time, or equivalent experience
Required Licensure and/or Certifications:
- High school graduate or the equivalent
- Restraint Certification within 6 months of hire date; recertification annually
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Certification within 6 months of hire date; recertification annually
- Biannual CPR Certification in Basic Cardiac Life Support prior to hire
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Work is performed in the sometimes hectic and changeable atmosphere of the MHS Department.
- On occasion will be called upon to assist with the physical management of assaultive behavior.
A detailed description of the physical requirements of this job is maintained in the Employee Health Department.
Looking for an opportunity to work in healthcare the way you always dreamed you could? At Antelope Valley Hospital, our employees are at the heart of what we do best delivering high quality, patient-centered healthcare.
Antelope Valley Hospital, a 420 bed acute care facility, located just 60 miles north of Los Angeles, the Antelope Valley is one of Southern Californias fastest growing communities. We are a Level II Trauma Center and Joint Commission Primary Stroke Center Accredited. Serving the community for over 50 years, our non-profit hospital has grown to be the preeminent healthcare facility for our districts nearly 1.2 million residents.
An Equal Opportunity Employer.
This is purely an estimate in miles.
The calculations are based on your browser or device location service.